Lunds universitet, MAX IV, MX group
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our
world and the human condition.MAX IV is a Swedish national large-scale research laboratory hosted by Lund University. It provides scientists from Sweden as well as internationally, with state-of-the-art instrumentation for research in areas such as engineering,
physics, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually, conducting ground-breaking experiments in materials and life sciences using the brilliant X-ray light. As a national laboratory,
MAX IV is operated in agreement with governmental regulations, and in compliance with major funders such as the Swedish Research Council (VR) and the Wallenberg Foundation. 250 people are currently employed at MAX IV Laboratory, and 16 beamlines are funded.
The facility is in a ramp-up phase with 3 beamlines now receiving users and 13 more scheduled to be commissioned and built to receive users within the next few years. The facility is dimensioned for 25-28 beamlines.
BioMAX is the first operational beamline for macromolecular crystallography at MAX IV, which runs for the last 3 years within the MAX IV user program. The beamline comprises a state-of-the-art
instrumentation with high performance x-ray transport and control systems, goniometry, x-ray detectors and a cryogenic sample changer (see also:
The beamline is operated by the interdisciplinary BioMAX-team which is part of the MX-group. Within this group we are also jointly developing a new beamlines project: MicroMAX, a serial crystallography
beamline for studying protein dynamics.
The MX-group is now looking for an expert, with a strong interest in developing, operating and maintaining complex scientific instrumentation of the
This position offers ample possibilities to work with and to develop scientific instrumentation and methodologies, which can be used later together with the BioMAX users for basic and applied
research tasks. Due to the broad spectrum of activities, this position is ideal to develop a related portfolio of expertise and knowledge by the candidate.
- Operation and maintenance of the beam line technical infrastructure, in close cooperation with the team of scientists and engineers of the MX-group and MAX IV
- If applicable, develop own in house research activities which are related to BioMAX & MicroMAX
- Shared tasks and responsibilities within the constant beamline development and upgrade
- Regular beamline commissioning tasks
- Develop strategies and methods for diagnostics and control of the BioMAX technical infrastructure and implement those
- Contribute to the design, purchase and installation of new beamline and experimental station components to ensure availability of an internationally competitive and reliable beamline
- Shared responsibilities for the scientific/technical support of external users during their beamtime
- Cooperation with the MicroMAX team on the design, construction and future operation of this new beamline
- University degree in engineering or natural sciences in subjects of relevance for BioMAX
- Proven ability to cooperate well within a team
- Excellent command in written and spoken English
- A demonstrated ability to work independently
- Demonstrated experiences with synchrotron radiation instrumentation
- Significant experiences in managing complex instrumentation projects at all stages
Additional desirable qualifications
- Experience of X-ray optics and its integration into setups such as synchrotron radiation beamlines
- Demonstrated experiences in mechanical engineering including 3D-CAD/CAM
- Demonstrated experiences in mechatronics
- Solid knowledge in software development
- Experience of microfluidic design, development and use
- Experience of nano-positioning systems
- Interest and experience in scientific use of techniques of interest for BioMAX (i.e. experiments, data analysis, publication and presentation of results)
MAX IV operates 24/7 and you will be part in on-call service of the MX-group for user support, including weekends and bank holidays in accordance to the working hour regulation.
You will be invited to visit partner facilities, attend workshops and conferences to disseminate the acquired knowledge. This means that you must be willing to travel occasionally.
Probationary period may apply.