The Polikanov Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Chicago (IL, USA) is looking for talented, skillful, and highly motivated researchers to fill the NIH/NSF-funded Visiting Research Specialist position to study the structure and function of the bacterial ribosome.
The research in the Polikanov Laboratory is focused on understanding the basic principles of protein synthesis in bacteria, the modes of action of ribosome-targeting antibiotics, and the mechanisms of drug resistance at a structural level. More information about Dr. Polikanov research can be obtained from the most recent publications (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/yury.polikanov.1/bibliography/50395623/public/?sort=date&direction=descending) or found on the laboratory web-page (https://bios.uic.edu/bios/people/faculty/yury-polikanov). The successful candidate will be involved in determination of high-resolution structures of ribosome functional complexes with various protein translation factors, tRNAs, and antibiotics using macromolecular X-ray crystallography techniques.
• BS degree in chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics, or a related field is required;
• MS degree or higher is preferred;• Minimum of 3 years of laboratory research experience is required;
• Strong background in biochemistry and molecular biology is required;
• Practical skills with the most standard methods currently used in molecular biology, and biochemistry (such as protein _expression_, purification);
• Experience in structural biology (cryo-EM or X-ray crystallography) is not required but is highly desirable;
• Experience in RNA biology field is not required but is highly desirable;
The successful candidate is also expected to:
• Act independently in terms of planning and executing the experiments;
• Compile, analyze, and prepare data for publications;
• Assist with training of graduate and undergraduate students.
Interested candidates should submit their CV, cover letter, and contact information for three references at https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=115527 by July 1, 2019. Cover letter should be describing how previous research accomplishments and scientific interests of a candidate fit with the scope of the research in the Polikanov Lab.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act
Human Resource Associate
Department of Biological Sciences
Chicago, IL 60607
To unsubscribe from the CCP4BB list, click the following link: