please find below a published vacancy for a post-doctoral research fellow in structural biology in our group at Ghent University and the VIB (Ghent, Belgium). For a summary of our research activities please visit:
VIB Center for Inflammation Research
Ghent University, Dept. Biochemistry & Microbiology
Technologiepark-Zwijnaarde 71, B-9052 Ghent (Zwijnaarde), Belgium
+32 (0)472 928 519 (mobile) ; +32 9 331 36 60 (office) ; Skype: savvas.savvides_skype
To apply please visit:
→ Aplication deadline 05/11/2019 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Faculty of Sciences
→ Department WE10 - Biochemistry and microbiology
→ Reference number: 201909/WE10/DA/014
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in structural biology within the Unit for Structural Biology embedded in the Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology (WE10) and you will provide technical support for data acquisition and analysis in single-particle electron microscopy.
- You will assist in teaching activities at the Bachelor’s or Master’s level.
- You will counsel Master’s students in their exercises, work placement and Master’s dissertation.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a doctoral degree in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biophysics, Structural Biology or a subject considered relevant by the selection committee. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted.
- You have already conducted research and acquired technical skills in electron microscopy (EM) and in particular cryoEM towards the determination of the three-dimensional structure of proteins, protein-protein, and protein-ligand complexes. Such research experience needs to be supported by a publication track record in scientific journals that subscribe to the peer-review process. Additional research experience in one of the following complementary methods within structural biology could be an advantage:
- Macromolecular X-ray Crystallography
- Small-angle X-ray Scattering
- You are familiar and have practical experience with biophysical methods for the study of protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions (e.g. Isothermal Titration Calorimetry, Biolayer interferometry, Multi-angle laser light scattering).
- You have broad practical experience in molecular biology, protein biochemistry, and tissue culture for the production and purification of mammalian recombinant proteins and complexes thereof towards structural and biophysical studies.
- You have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher during your doctorate.
- You are interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a three-year appointment. The appointment may be renewed once for three years at the most, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. The term of renewal begins immediately after the first term has expired. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a postdoctoral assistant at a university within the Flemish Community, you cannot apply for this position.
- Your appointment will start on 1 February 2020.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your relevant scientific publications (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en).
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Savvas Savvides (savvas.savvides@UGent.be, +32 (0)9 331 36 60).
To unsubscribe from the CCP4BB list, click the following link: