PhD position at NUI Galway, Ireland
The Crowley laboratory is recruiting a PhD candidate to begin in September 2019. This four year fully-funded project is part of SFI research centre SSPC-Pharm5, and includes an annual stipend, registration
fees, consumables costs and travel allowance.
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD candidate with a passion for protein science. Applications are welcome from BSc or MSc graduates of Chemistry, Biochemistry or Biotechnology. Prior experience in
protein purification is an advantage.
Controlled protein assembly provides a means to construct biocompatible, nanoscale devices and functional materials. We are interested in ligands that facilitate protein assembly and crystallization. Such “molecular
glues” trigger assembly by providing a surface on which two or more proteins can associate. Macrocycles such as calixarenes and cucurbiturils are versatile "glues" for protein assembly and crystallization.[1-4] We have shown how sulfonato-calixarene can
control the assembly of lysine-rich cytochrome c. Different types of assemblies were generated depending on the protein – calixarene ratio. While our work to date has focused on cationic proteins[1,4] now we will expand the scope to include neutral proteins.
Our main interest is to discover methods of generating porous assemblies with potential applications in sensing and catalysis.
Applications to include:
- motivation statement (~500 words)
- 2 page CV
- contact details for 2 referees
- PDF of BSc or MSc thesis
Enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. McGovern RE, Fernandes H, Khan AR, Power NP, Crowley PB Protein camouflage in cytochrome c - calixarene complexes. Nature Chem. 2012, 4, 527-533.
2. Guagnini F, Antonik PM, Rennie ML, O'Byrne P, Khan AR, Pinalli R, Dalcanale E, Crowley PB Cucurbituril-dimethyllysine recognition in a model protein. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2018, 57, 7126-7130.
3. Rennie ML, Fox GC, Pérez J, Crowley PB Auto-regulated protein assembly on a supramolecular scaffold. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2018, 57, 13764-13769.
4. Alex JM, Rennie ML, Engilberge S, Lehoczki G, Dorottya H, Fizil Á, Batta G, Crowley PB Calixarene-mediated assembly of a small antifungal protein. IUCrJ 2019, 6, 238–247.
Prof. Peter Crowley
School of Chemistry
National University of Ireland, Galway
To unsubscribe from the CCP4BB list, click the following link: